Tuesday 12 February 2013

What a difference a day (of running) makes....

Generally I am a pretty positive person but having found my long run on Saturday tougher than I expected, combined with still feeling pretty sore (following a recovery run on Monday morning) I had a bit of a moan yesterday. Maybe it was just down to it being Monday, I don't know.

Anyway, what a difference a day makes! I met with Mike this morning and as he is currently involved in a #hillagechallenge on Strava, I swapped out my planned marathon pace 6 miler for a social run through Sharphill Woods. We splashed through boggy, muddy puddles (sometimes up to our calves!) ran up and then and flew down hills in low light conditions (which was slightly scary!) and explored fields in search of a mythical underpass under the A52!

I can see the pub from here!


It was just the sort of tonic I needed. In the end it was probably a tougher session than I had planned but unlike my long run on Saturday it didn't feel like it because we were having so much fun.

Anyway, having been a bit negative yesterday, I wanted to reflect on how different one run can make you feel. The moral of the story is that you are only one run away from feeling good again.

So, if you are feeling a bit fed up, lace up your trainers and go and run somewhere different, explore like you are 10 again, splash through some puddles and get yourself muddy. Remember running is fun!

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic post, love the sentiment. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi. When we are feeling down, its good to know that one run can make you feel differently about things. I hope you are back to full strength soon. Best wishes.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Martin. Sometimes, if you feel like you are in a bit of a rut, it's good to get out there and do something a bit different and fun. Like stomping through the mud!

    ReplyDelete