Monday 4 February 2013

Tech review - Garmin Sync

I will say right from the start that I am not particularly technically minded. I can get by when it comes to computers but I am far from being an expert. So anything that is going to make my life easier has got to be worth a look.

There are so many websites available that will allow you to log your runs/rides/walks these days that it can be a bit of a mission to upload your activities to them all if (like me) you are using multiple sites. Some, such as Fetcheveryone rely on you adding your activities manually or by uploading your Garmin files. Others, such as Strava and Runkeeper have apps that use the GPS in your smartphone to record your runs (in fact Strava also allows you to upload runs from your Garmin device).

I use my Garmin 405 watch to record the majority of my runs and I use Fetcheveryone as my principle training log. However, I will sometimes use Runkeeper on my iPhone if my Garmin is not around/out of charge. I have also recently started to use Strava because a number of my friends use it and I enjoy the social elements, the challenges and the fact you can bag CR's/KOM's for particular segments of your runs or rides.



I have looked in the past for a tool that would allow me to interact with these various sites but not have to use up half of my day manually uploading them! I recently (after running a Google search) came across Garmin Sync which allows you to set the site to automatically upload your Garmin Connect activities to both Strava and Runkeeper. It also (and this was something I particularly liked) allows to upload all of your historic activities. This meant that although I was late to the party with Strava, I was able to very easily and quickly upload all of my old runs, thereby giving me a chance to compete with my friends on the various challenges!

My only initial gripe with Garmin Sync is that it did not copy across the name of the activity if you had given the activity a name in Garmin Connect but this has been fixed in a recent update.

So, if like me, you want to be able to automatically upload your Garmin activities to Runkeeper and/or Strava quickly and efficiently, give Garmin Sync a try!

1 comment: