Friday 15 February 2013

Training talk: Putting Yasso 800's to the test

I am using Yasso 800's as one of my key speed sessions as I train for the Milton Keynes Marathon.

For those not familiar with this session, you run 800 metre reps and use the same amount of time it takes you to run the sprint rep for your recovery (e.g 3:30 mins / 3:30 mins). You start (as I did this morning) by running 4 times 800m and build up to running 10 times 800m. The key to this session (as with all intervals) is to try to hit the same times for all of your 10 reps, although by the time you reach 8, 9 and 10 they are going to be pretty tough!

This session was developed the the legendary runner Bart Yasso. The reason this session is popular with marathon runners is that Bart claims that the time that you can hold for 10 x 800m reps, should indicate what you are capable of running for the marathon. This is a theory that has been put in to practice for many years, with many accomplished marathon runners.

I am going to put the Yasso 800s to the test during my marathon training. At the moment, I am running about 3 mins 30 secs for my 800m reps. My splits this morning were: 3:30 (6:57/m), 3:26(6:55/m), 3:27(6:52/m), 3:28(6:48/m).

Now, given that I am hoping to run sub 3 hrs 30 mins at Milton Keynes. I am hoping to put Bart's session to the test and see if it can help me beg a 15 min marathon PB.

Wow! I feel like Bart Yasso....Wait, that is Bart Yasso!

If you are interested in learning more about Bart Yasso and the Yasso 800s, you can read about them here.

I will keep you updated as my training plan unfolds but in the meantime, I would be interested in your experience of the Yasso 800s. Are you doing/have you done this session? Have you found it to be a good indicator of your marathon time?

UPDATE:

Bart took the time to read my blog entry and sent me a reply on Twitter!:


@runrforlife Congrats , love the pic.The reward is living the lifestyle and embracing the journey.
1:01pm · 15 Feb 13 · web

UPDATE (19/4/2013):

I have now completed my full session of Yasso 800s and built up to running 10 reps, all of which I completed in under 3 mins 30 secs. In fact my average pace for the 10 reps today was 6:54m/m, which I was really please with.

So, if Bart's theory is correct, I should be in good shape to hit my target time of sub 3 hrs 30 mins at the Milton Keynes marathon. I will report back after race day on 6th May!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment